Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tag Days

Meet Dallas. This handsome boy accompanied me to Tag Days on Saturday. He is a three-year old lab/pointer mix. Tag Days is a twice-yearly event at Anderson Animal Shelter. Volunteers sign up for shifts at a variety of Jewel stores in the surrounding areas. We take two-hour shifts, bring a dog and panhandle for money. It's really awkward but I'm pretty good at talking to strangers and it's for much-needed money for the shelter.
Last year I collected in Elgin and made an embarrassing 35 bucks. This year I decided to try St. Charles and made an amazing $192.41. I was so happy. Some people were even giving twenties. A few observations from the day:
  • The poorest-looking people give the best donations. They also have great stories to tell about dogs they've known.
  • The people in my own age group (thirties!) that drive nice cars and are well-dressed can't be bothered to donate anything. Jerks.
  • Most people are suckers for a dog and this dog was a hit.
  • Dogs are not allowed in Jewel. Even when chaperoned by the bank manager.
All in all it was a great day...that is until I had to return this poor guy to his run at the shelter. He enjoyed being out and since he wasn't my dog, we shared some french fries on the way home. If anyone is looking for a dog, Dallas is a great one!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
So happy for you guys!!! Glad you have blag---there are so many I don't know what to do with myself. Observations:

--Buzz's mom is very cute
--I love you wedding dress
--your dogs are cute

--Are you going to change your diet?

--GOod job on the LIve Feed--it makes people respond. I keep telling Mandy to get one.

Anonymous said...

WOW--I need to edit before I send-

that would be blog and I do love you but I meant I love your

Kelly said...

Kenzie,
Thanks for your thorough notes. I will not be changing my diet. I am craving hot-dogs like nobody's business but I've got to keep my pride, right?

Anonymous said...

Dallas is a sweetheart I hope he finds a home.

Amanda said...

I think it's great that you are so passionate about your rescue work. Our rescue doggie is the best mutt around -- IMHO.

Amanda D. said...

Hi Kelly - I love you blog so much that I had to change my background. My friend Melissa changed hers too ...that site rocks. Thanks.

Mandy said...

Kenzie-I don't have the patience to figure out the live feed thing.

Mandy C-what is IMHO? I'm not familiar with all of the text vocab.

Kelly said...

Mandy - It's in my humble opinion...The live feed is easy, I can show you...