Monday, January 5, 2009

How long until we can use our bathroom?

On New Year Eve Buzz began the dreaded bathroom renovation. Here are a few pictures of how the bathroom used to look:Yes, we painted it that orange color. It was great the first year but by year three we were really tired of it. Since we will be living in this town home until the market rights itself (maybe forever) we (Buzz will say I) decided to upgrade. The countertop is that awful peach and white swirled fake marble look. The toilet has trouble handling deucers.
The floor, my god the floor. This is obviously after Buzz started peeling it up but check out that sweet Linoleum pattern.

The plan:
  • paint existing cabinet espresso
  • replace countertop and faucet
  • replace toilet
  • replace Linoleum with ceramic tile
  • paint, new accessories

Buzz figured he could whip this puppy out in 4-5 days. How wrong he was. He has been working his tale off for 8-10 hours per day and he is not finished. The cabinet is done, the walls are partially primed and the tile is laid and grouted. He didn't take into account the wait time between tile laying, grouting, and sealing.

What is my part you might ask? The designer of course. This past summer I purchased all of the towels, shower curtain and accessories. They've just been waiting for a home. I chose the tile, paint, countertop...
I am also there to ask questions like, "Should you call one of your friends to see if there is a shortcut that you're missing?" Also, I've been painstakingly shopping for Ella's nursery furniture with the help of my mom, cousin and some friends' advice about furniture. I also packed away NINE rubbermaids of X-mas decorations. Let's not forget that I'm growing a life as well.
I am very proud of Buzz and all that he has accomplished. It is looking fantastic and I know he'll be so proud when he's done. Although, I fear that he will never do a project like this again...

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Ummm, I like to call our part "the talent". The men are simply laborers.

BTW, we'd love to have you visit. You're welcome any time! :)

Jessica said...

It already looks bigger with the orange paint gone. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mandy said...

It's going to look so great! At least Buzz is willing to attempt something like this...Nick talks a big game, but the biggest project he's done in our house is replacing the little rubber thingy that keeps the toilet from leaking. That was 2 years ago...and he STILL talks about it.

Teresa said...

Its gonna look great! I love your role...I sometimes ask Brian the same question...and always get a not so nice look back! ha Good Job Buzz!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Buzz!! I always ask Rocky to ask his friends for help- always, otherwise nothing would get done. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see it. Go Buzz!

Anonymous said...

Where's the crack! Hope the new potty gets rid of the deucers.

Samantha Scimeca said...

Umm..that looks just like our bathroom...I see you already started the ceramic tile...I hate our ceramic tile...COLD FEET!!!!! Looks nice, but never again! I love the look of the painted vanity! Good job Buzz!