Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My First Mother's Day

The day started off great. Buzz woke me with some beautiful flowers and a hungry baby. Afterwards I opened some presents from Buzz and Ella. Buzz got me a pretty two-hearted necklace and Ella got me a silver bracelet with a tiny mom charm attached. Buzz is also getting me my blog book as soon as I finish editing the damn thing. Next we headed to John Barleycorn where we met up with the rest of the familia. Ella insisted on the champagne brunch even though it was an extra three dollars.
Buzz and I bought each mom a canvas of the picture my sister took of Ella in the blue bonnets. They loved their gifts.
We stopped at my parents' house to condense the cars and we headed to the Lincoln Park Zoo.


My dad tried to get out of going to the zoo by calling me that morning and saying, "Why don't you bring the dogs over and I'll watch them so you guys don't have to rush home from the zoo." Really dad? Nice try. He ended up having a great time and we were all surprised to see Ella point at every animal.




These meerkats were the best. They stare right into your eyes like they are trying to tell you something. Buzz thought they reminded him of Greta.
So my mom and I go to the bathroom and when we get back, my dad says, "We went and saw the lions but don't bother going over there." I asked him why not. He said, "they're just sitting around." Well dad, did you expect them to be putting on a Broadway show?
Here are the brave four that rode the Merry Go Round.

I love this pic of them.

By the time we left, Ella was passed out cold. The best mother's day gift I got was the night before when Buzz told me that he bought Greta a special bone because I'm not the only mother in the house. Greta had 7 puppies before we adopted her. I guess he does love her.

I don't get mushy very often - or ever but if you're still reading, I would like to say a few things about being a mother...

It is absolutely the coolest, most rewarding job in the world. I have waited my whole life for this and it is even better than I ever imagined. This child brings me so much happiness on a daily basis. I can't wait to see her every morning and hate to see her go to bed every night. Everything is so much more interesting now with Ella around. Going to the grocery store becomes a fun time. I am so excited to see the person that she will become some day. I feel so lucky, blessed, or whatever to be her mom.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Couple things: what a nice day spent with the whole fam, buzz is a sweeite and I like you a little mushy sometimes!

JILL said...

What a great day... Happy 1st Mother's Day! Kelly- the ending of this post was the best. It made me cry. You never get mushy- but it was so sweet to read this. You were BORN to be a mom. You are a Natural. Ella is very, very lucky to have you!

Teresa said...

Nice Mother's Day!! I agree with the girls..I kinda like the mushiness! That B&W picture of you and Ella is awesome!

Amanda said...

Happy Mother's Day! :)

What is a blog book?

Kellie said...

What a sweet and cute post. Happy 1st Mothers Day!