Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nothing in life is free anymore!

I went to Olive Garden with my friend Laurie and her daughter Kyla this week. That's what I do now, I have play dates and go to lunch! Last weekend my brother in law, Eric, was saying how they went to Shaw's and they told the waitress that it was his wife's un-birthday - and guess what? They got a free dessert.

I thought to myself at the time..."Self, that is a perfect idea. Whenever you go out to eat you should say it's someones birthday at the table and get a free dessert. I mean who doesn't love a FREE dessert?"

So I checked with Laurie's daughter to make sure it was okay and pulled the waitress aside at the end of the meal to let her know it was Kyla's birthday. She nodded and walked away. A bit later, all of the wait staff shows up with a beautiful little cake and they sing to Kyla. We toast her and cut the cake. I was totally impressed because they brought us a to-go box as well. How sweet.

Until...we get the bill and that damn cake is on there! What is wrong with Olive Garden? The waitress never mentioned a charge and she didn't even ask what kind of cake we wanted! The funny thing is that Laur had warned me that we might get charge and I brushed her off telling her no way, they never charge for birthdays. Well be warned people.

And oh yeah, Ella had a poop blowout at the table.
The girls came back to the house for a bit and we attempted to get a picture which is apparently really hard with these two.


Did I mention her daughter is going to be only twelve? Crazy.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

HAHAH! That's what you get! Laur's daughter is so pretty and I cannot believe she's only 12 - she looks so old!!

Amanda said...

Is that chocolate lasagna cake?? I thought they didn't make that anymore.

Kelly said...

I don't know if it was chocolate lasagna cake...but it wasn't that good.

Unknown said...

I can't believe they charged you. That sucks!

Laurie said...

I know it's cliche, but I swear Kyla was as big as Ella not very long ago, enjoy every minute girls, it goes so fast.

Anonymous said...

Is this setting a good example for Kyla?,teaching her to say its her birthday in August when her birthday isn't until November? Olive garden is onto Mom scammers.'Let them eat cake' AND PAY FOR IT TOO! MOM FROM AUSTIN

Teresa said...

Sounds like something I would do!