Friday, December 10, 2010

A Day Downtown

The one good thing about my Grandma's passing was that it brought my sister and her two little guys in town for a few days. The boys were so sweet to Ella. I had the great idea to use our only free day to head downtown to see the lights, windows and eat in the Walnut Room like we used to every year when we were little. My mom supplied Ella with a hat that she'll be able to wear when she's ten. Seriously, it fit my sister's head. Now she has a small head but still! The older sister was not happy about having to drag her ass off the couch and bundle up for a trip to the city. She'd much rather watch soaps. Yeah, she still watches soap operas! Ella enjoyed her first L ride.

We decided to check out Santa while we were there because there was absolutely no line. Ella led the way down the winding hallways in search of the jolly fellow.
When she finally found him, she was not happy and so Kerry and I had to pose in the picture.
Since they were dead, we tried again and she was okay as long as she wasn't touching him.
Afterwards my sister picked out a bunch of clothes for Ella for her Christmas present.
Ella was more interested in the car selection. And I'm okay with that ;) - I think!
Next we head to the Walnut Room to eat under the tree and we're visited by the ghost of princess' past? Seriously, why does she look dead?




Finally, we head outside to see the windows! They were totally disappointing. Either when I was a kid, I appreciated things a lot more or since Macy's took over, they've cut the window budget.
Aidan was not impressed! Him and his mom were two peas in a pod. They both wanted to go home.
But Cole was as trooper like his Aunt Kelly and loved every minute.
I picked up this hat that was handmade in Nepal at the Kris Kringle market. My sister said it makes me look like a cow.

The pigeons warming themselves by the fire.
I found my soul mate.
My dad pushed Ella around and she was a trooper too. It was so cold that day and she never complained. We worried when her nose and toes turned black with frostbite but she got over it.
Had to include this shot of my old friend, Bill Kurtis. When I worked for the production company he was good friends with my boss and we'd work with him sometimes. He always liked to say, "Kelly Kane can," in his newscaster voice.
We even headed over to see the bean at Millennium Park and happened upon a live taping of the Ellen show. Ellen was skyping from her show and they were doing some kind of ugly Christmas sweater contest. All of a sudden my sister wasn't so cold anymore. We had to drag her kicking and screaming away from the lights and cameras.

No comments: