Sunday, December 5, 2010

Margaret Kane: July 27, 1923 - November 25, 2010

On Thanksgiving 11/25/10, my grandma, Margaret Kane passed away at the age of 87. She was one amazing lady that didn't seem to have a bad bone in her body. She welcomed and loved everyone and never said anything bad about anybody. She was especially fond of the Cubs, crossword puzzles, and her family. But most recently she was smitten with my little Ella. I've always enjoyed visiting with my grandma and hearing her stories about the old days. She was a talented story-teller/writer and had a great sense of humor. Here are some photos from her life and at the bottom of the page is an excerpt that I took from her journal and read at her funeral.












"When I was a child my only aspiration in life was to be a mother of many children. As I grew older I realized there had to be a husband involved. I dated a few guys but no one filled the bill. Finally on New Year’s Eve in 1946 I met a cocky, curly-haired Irishman in a bar called the Still Alarm. I was with Tom Christian at the time, but this guy really appealed to me.
After juggling dates between Joe and Tom, I finally settled with Joe, and I never regretted this move.

He was an extrovert and I was an introvert. He always handled every situation that arose. He never complained about my mother and most of the time my brother Pat was living with us. He was never too much of a man to change the baby’s diaper or cook a meal on a Sunday. When an emergency arose with the kids he always handled it.

Maybe in his lifetime he drank enough beer to float a battleship but no one is perfect. I always knew I could depend on him for anything.
Now that we’re getting older I find he’s leaning on me more but turnabout is fair play. He always said I was the love of his life and he – he fulfilled all my dreams.

11 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow. Your grandmother's journal entry is really powerful. I am so, so sorry for your loss, Kelly.

Teresa said...

Those pictures are awesome! Love her journal entry!

Janice said...

That is a beautiful journal entry and the pictures are beautiful too - thanks for sharing!

Kellie said...

I hate to sound like everyone else, but the journal entry and the pictures were so amazing and beautiful. I know how much you loved her and I am so sorry for your loss.

Samantha Scimeca said...

Ok, I'm crying!!!!! Thank you for sharing! I LOVE the pictures! They are fantastic! She was STUNNING! Sorry for your loss Kelly.

JILL said...

All my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. This post is such a celebration of her life. That entry was amazing. She was such a beautiful woman- sounds like she was SUPER lucky to have such love in her life.

Amanda said...

Kelly,
Sorry about your loss. I'll keep you in my prayers. The pictures of your grandma are wonderful. How is that every woman of that generation could exude such beauty and class in such ordinary every day situations?

Jessica said...

Kel-

I hadn't heard and I'm so very sorry to learn of the loss of your grandma. I loved the pics and journal entry you shared. Very special. I'm sure she would be (is-somewhere) proud.

XO.

Mandy said...

So sorry Kelly...what a great post though and love that she kept journals so that her legacy will live on. I know how much she meant to you guys.

Mandy said...

BTW-Kerry looks alot like her!

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel