Monday, November 3, 2008

Just call me the bird lady.

I had a vet's appointment with Greta this evening so I stopped by my parents house afterwards. I was in the basement with my dad and brother when the doorbell rang. Joey went to get it and yelled down that it was for me. I kept asking him who it was but he wouldn't say. I go upstairs and there on the front porch is about 5 kids from the neighborhood holding a box. They tell me it's a cockatiel that they found and it might be sick. Someone's mom said that they should take it to me. I told them that I don't even live here anymore. They said that they saw my car.

So what's a sucker to do? I took the bird and drove back to the pet clinic to see if they would house the bird until the owner was found. I guess I overlooked the fact that we have birds of our own at the clinic and if this bird was sick then it could be spread to the others pretty fast. I had our resident bird expert give the cockatiel a once over and she determined that it was about 10 months old and seemed to be fine, just hungry.

To make a long story short, I dropped the bird back off at my parent's neighbor's house with the excuse that I have two bird dogs at home that would probably eat the bird. The neighbor wasn't thrilled but what could he do?

No comments: