Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Your Nipples are Straws

Buzz and I took our first breastfeeding class on Monday night. Here are some of the finer points:
  • Think of your nipples as straws
  • It takes 20-35 minutes to empty a breast
  • The baby should have no other food besides breast milk for the first 6 months
  • You shouldn't have any visitors the first 2 weeks because you don't want them disrupting your breastfeeding
  • You hold the breast like a sandwich, not like a cigarette
  • If you breastfeed between 9 and 12 months you can decrease your baby's chances for Multiple Sclerosis (I'd like to see that study)
  • When you have leftover frozen breast milk you can sneak it into your child's mac and cheese or milkshakes

We also saw a lengthy video and I did not realize that the baby really stretches the nipple into the back of her mouth when feeding. I kind of want to quit before I start. We have two more classes to go to.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Ew...I never heard of half of that.

Unknown said...

Wow, I didn't know some of that. Um, Mac n cheese with Breastmilk- Yuck.
Did you know it sprays like a shower head, from several places, not just one place like a hose?
So weird.
And I forgot to tell you, the cabbage totally helped me when I stopped. I guess there is supposedly something in the juice that helps dry out the glands- and it's nice and cold and soothing

Anonymous said...

That is why I skipped the whole breast feeding class. Who needs to know that stuff.

NyLa said...

That's why I tape them down now! After 4 kids, all my nipples are screamin' for is Heavy Duty Duck Tape:O

Amanda said...

"I kind of want to quit before I start." LOL

Teresa said...

Now I am a little turned off about the whole breastfeeding thing....

Anneliese said...

Kelly- I am one of Amanda D's friends and I check out your blog every once in a while for a couple of reasons. I think your dogs are adorable and you are quite enertaining. I also have a weimer and they are so much like your Visla.

Anyhow.. I wanted tell you that breastfeeding is so different for everyone. I am still BF at 4 months with my newborn. It took a couple weeks to get used to feeling like you have a parasaite sucking the life out of you, but well worth it in the end. I feed my little guy in less then 10-15 minutes total most feedings. So don't believe it all. The lactation consultant at the pediatricians office was awsome. The hospital staff were horrible with teaching BF. I guess I will keep the hole mac n cheese tip in mind if I ever run out of milk. LOL

Anonymous said...

You'll do great. It takes a little bit to get used to the tenderness but once Ella gets the hang of it, you'll both be happy campers and really enjoy it. A little tip: when you're out without Ella, (shopping, a wedding, party, whatever) be sure to carry a couple of small pads to put in your bra. If you haven't fed her for an hour or two and think of her, lactatiion simply occurs. It's really amazing how that whole thing works. It's awesome actually. Also a warm shower promotes lactation very easily (sometimes hard to get it to stop).This whole process is amazing and you'll find it so
rewarding. It's so nice you will be off for the summer. How exciting..a little Ella! truly the best time in your life.