Thursday, March 19, 2009

District 54 drops all block grant employees or Ella's jobless mother

So yesterday there was a "voluntary" meeting after school for all grant employees. This is confusing but try to stay with me. I work in a District 54 school and have the same exact job as the other teachers in early childhood but I am paid through this place called, The Center. This is the case in the district for a lot of teachers and instructional assistants in early childhood. Yesterday we were informed that we are all being let go at the end of this school year and we can reapply for our jobs through the district but these jobs will also be open to the general public. I am the only teacher that does not have my special ed certification and so I can't even apply for my job through the district. I was going to be moved anyway at the end of this year to a place where I didn't need that certification but now I don't know if that will even happen.

Here's what stinks...The instructional assistants (many with 15+ years under their belt) if re-hired by the district will not be compensated for their experience. They will have to start at the bottom of the pay scale as well as lose all of their sick days. If teachers are lucky enough to get through District 54's exhaustive hiring process, they will be compensated for their experience. There are 43 people who this is affecting. A nice surprise before spring break. Not to mention all of the local districts seems to be doing some serious lay-offs. I'm not going to freak out, I'm not going to freak out, I'm not going to freak out...My only saving grace is my insurance takes me through June.

For me this is just one more disappointment from a long line of them working with this district.

8 comments:

Teresa said...

That sucks Kelly! So sorry you have to deal with this. I will keep my fingers crossed that something comes up!

Anonymous said...

Kelly that sucks! Maybe this is a sign you should join the SAHM club!!! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this stress.

Mandy said...

What a rotten time for something like this to happen. Don't stress over it - at the end of the day there's not much you can do about it so why put you and Ella through the stress right? Just keep telling yourself everything happens for a reason.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Kelly. Definitely bad timing.

Anneliese said...

Kelly,
Sorry to hear you are having such a rough week. It sounds like you have a lot of amazing and supportive friends. I too felt a lot of the same emotions you noted in your posts. I felt very guilty for some of my feelings and lack of motivation. It helped that people told me to rest and take care of myself because I always felt I should be doing a million things. The reality is you can sleep and eat as much as you want because that is what the baby needs. So enjoy that.

I hope you have a fabulous weekend. Try to take one day at a time. We mothers think our little nests have to be perfect before the baby comes, but we don't use half the stuff we think we need for months.
Good Luck!
Anneliese
PS- If I hear of any good jobs up here in Crystal Lake area schools I will let you know.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Kelly. I will ask and see if Amanda or my sister know of anything.

Amanda said...

I'm sorry, Kelly; that really sucks.

Samantha Scimeca said...

Kelly I am very sorry to hear that. Stay positive and Mandy is right, everything happens for a reason and don't get stressed out... Have Buzz get you and baby on his insurance asap.